Thursday, June 24, 2010

Ms Gillard

Ms Gillard.

It has come to my attention that you are our first female Prime Minister. I feel so strongly regarding this news that I felt I needed to write about it on my blog. After reading another blogger's open letter I thought that this was the best way in which to communicate my opinion.

Firstly, congratulations on being written onto 'history's page'. Let's hope it's a positive one in the end. I know that I am annoyed by the fact that Australia receives its first female Prime Minister without any input. Hopefully when my children read in their National Curriculum History lessons about how you were self-appointed into this role it's a positive spin. Let's not hope that it conveys true history; you were willing to undercut your people-appointed leader who was making tough decisions, at 10pm so the least amount of people knew about it. Let's hope it doesn't say that you chose to use your "female-given" right to change your mind and after weeks of denying a possible challenge, spearhead a coup on the government and the people you had sworn to govern with/for.

Secondly, I hope that you continue to follow the agenda of the AWU. I mean, if you don't know how ruthless they can be when they don't like the government's decisions, I'm sure there's an ex-Prime Minister who can let you know.

Thirdly, I hope you have vastly differing, substantial and worthy policies. I know it's only a few months until you'll go to the polls, but it might be a tad embarrassing if all you do is run with policies gotten up and running by the man you decided, while voted for by the public, was incapable of doing the job he was charged with.

Lastly, I hope you've thought through the idea that you've most likely handed the Liberals the government on a silver platter. One with inherent support for the richest men on Earth (who aren't even necessarily Australian) and where they look like (even with their own leadership battles) that they are all friends and totally on the same page.

I am most disgruntled by and disappointed in your decisions over the last 24 hours.  I am ashamed that I did not have the choice of my next Prime Minister. I am angry that that choice was taken away from me. I understand it's still the same party but it is not the same faction. You are not what I was promised.

Do not compound your behaviour by calling the polls after the end of the term. Go to the polls as we expect; before the end of the year. While we are still angry at you.




**** And now, the letter I actually sent her... after seeing the media reactions and calming the heck down ****

I welcome you to your new post. I hope to not sound bitter; I do not think that the way you arrived at this position inhabits the ideals of 'fair go' and 'mateship - ideals that you posit throughout your party.


You must hit the ground running and I hope that, while you must have some different policies than Mr Rudd (otherwise, the coup performed today was rather irrelevant, don't you think?) you keep some the same.

The mining tax must be pursued at length and with minimal compromise. You were not willing to budge on MySchool, and just because the Education Departments in this country do not have multi-billion dollar sway within parliament, you must treat the mining companies with the same disrespect you showed thousands of honest hard-working citizens of your country, worried for their students and communities.

The Education Revolution needs to be continued and, while investigation is important (there are some horrid practices being perpetrated on teachers and students throughout this country,) scrapping spending on state schools would be negligent. While I understand that the word 'state' confers responsibility onto state governments for funding, the funding of State Schools at a federal level must be increased. It is not an equitable dispersal of funds to have privately-owned schools funded at a higher rate than those educating the majority of your population.
I have noticed that the media is already singing your praises. I hope that it continues, because if it does not, I fear you have handed the government, nicely gift-wrapped, to the conservative parties in this country.

Please go to the polls while the people in this country are being mesmerised by the 'first female Prime Minister' spin and before they realise that you stopped them choosing you.



Regards

No comments:

Post a Comment