Monday, January 10, 2011

Baby-sitting

So, you know what I do for a job right? You know that teaching is my passion, even if I procrastinate too much and end up not doing quite as well as I want. (Honesty people!)

Well, I work in the high school system. Therefore, I look after (and try to get through to) up to 200 students per week - in England, it was over this - and I keep them safe. I make sure they are nourished. I make sure that they are learning the accepted morals of the society we live in. I try to make sure that they are emotionally nourished. I ensure that they are safe and nothing can harm them. OK, so sometimes, being teenagers, I can't do all of this, but I definitely try.

Well, my friends don't seem to want my expertise in looking after their children. C's Mumma is getting less connected as he gets old (cannot believe he's three months old) and I totally understand that she doesn't want to leave him alone with me.

But other friends? I offer to take friends' children to the movies and I don't get a response. It's holidays, and you're working and you've left him with his grandmother. Surely a friend taking him out would be a good thing? I can keep them safe. I do it for a job.

I just don't understand why a simple return SMS back - 'no thanks, he's fine where he is'. 'No thanks, but thanks for the offer' is so hard.

The same thing applies for RSVPs. I think I'm only ever going to get RSVPs for my wedding during the ceremony. (No, no wedding as yet!) You'd think the advent of Facebook Events would make it easier - click 'Yes', 'No' or 'Maybe'. It's not that hard. And seriously! If I ask for RSVPs 'cause I have to book a table, let me know!!!!

Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment