Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Intolerance

is the bane of my life.

I went to the 'church' (which they call a fellowship) that I have been investigating for a bit on Sunday. Yes, today's Tuesday, I know; this is a little late, but better late than never, right? It was so welcoming - getting there at 9.30 for coffee, service at 10 - 11.30 and then lunch together until almost one. It was a gorgeous service, and I felt right at home. I will return.

I do, however, have one bone to pick with one of the fellowship (congregation?) The first principle of this church is the 'inherent dignity and worth of every being'. I really got that from all of the other members - so welcoming, didn't feel judged in the slightest, and they just seemed genuinely happy to have me with them. I can understand why people fall into cults. But this woman. Well... I asked her what she did - I'm a doctor. What do you do? I'm a teacher. What kind of teacher? An English teacher.

Wow. I have never had anyone unleash such venom on being told I'm a teacher. I get all the time - you get lots of holidays, you don't work a full day. These are things you just expect and tolerate when you choose this profession. It's a calling after all and anyone who is in it because they can't 'do' something else needs their head checked.

This woman, who states she is following a spiritually enlightened path through unitarian universalism, used words such as 'pathetic', 'lower than scum', 'unintelligent', 'useless', 'fake job' and 'moronic' to describe me. Not my profession. Me. After having spoken to me for less than one minute. And then, after I'd been pulled away from her by another member of the church followed me to keep the tirade up.

And then, after I told her that I believed in what I did and told her I was going to go talk to someone else, said, "I hope that you will come back because we're so welcoming."

Well. I will be returning. For the rest of the congregation. Definitely not you.

I wouldn't even expect that from the most right person in the world at their church. Trying to convert me, yes. Telling me I was silly because I don't believe in God, but think Archangel Michael is the link to the supreme energy of the world, yes. Telling me off because I chose to serve the community (a choice not unlike you, Miss 'I'm a GP and have a degree and many postdoctoral qualifications), no. Something I did not expect.

She is not an example to follow in any faith. Let alone one who holds the 'inherent dignity' of all as their highest goal.

1 comment:

  1. wow, what a terrible experience in an otherwise pleasant day. Sounds like a mixed up person to me.

    Hope you enjoy your new experiences and friendships with this group.

    ReplyDelete