Thursday, February 11, 2010

lies

When does a slight mistruth become a big nose-stretching lie?

Is it ethically OK to tell a prospective employer that you can commit to a year contract while knowing full well that if you get a teaching position you will be out of there like lightning?

Is it ethically responsible to tell someone you're extremely happy for them when inside you're being eaten by jealousy (I would say, yes.)

When you've lost something, is it acceptable to tell the person who needs to get it to you again that the plane lost it? I'm not claiming on insurance...

Is it OK to make an excuse to not do something instead of just saying, "Hey, thanks for the invite, but I don't want to."?

What are the little lies that are confusing you at the moment?

2 comments:

  1. Not little lies, but evasion. More of a I must not tell, I must not tell... I do not deal with liars and really hate it when they bluff everyone around them. So I find myself lying by omission. When I see THAT person sucking up and giggling with another she called a whore only months ago... I bite my tongue.

    Little white lies are by definition not malicious. Usually used to not hurt someone's feelings. Lies become an issue when that is no longer the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, it all depends on whether there's a chance of someone being hurt. Telling a SMALL lie to spare someone's feelings MAY be okay, depending on the circumstances. But this is also balanced by the risk of them finding out you lied to them. It's a very complicated algorithm!

    ReplyDelete