Thursday, January 14, 2010

Dysfunctional Relationships

So when I was younger - a decade ago in actual fact - I had two friends who were a couple. Oh boy, were they bad together. Everytime she dumped him, he threatened suicide. So she stayed. She had to move to a different state to get out of the situation.

Why am I giving you this background you ask? Well, I went shopping today and while I was on the bus coming home, the song 'Beat It' by JLS came onto my iPod. Now, I really like this song. The melody really suits the music and the music, while extremely simple, gets into my bones and I need to move. But this time, I really heard the lyrics. Wow. Guilt trip.


Damn


The Doctor's just finished telling me there’s no time


Losing you could be the end of me and that I


Should do the things that I wanna do how could I


Without you without you ooh ooh


Cos you’re the only one I let in


Tell me how to stop this feeling spreading


I’m hoping somehow that you know ooh ooh


Lets just get back together


We should’ve never broke up


They’re telling me


That my heart won't beat again


We should have stayed together


Cos when you left me it stopped


They’re telling me


That my heart won't beat again


Wont beat again


It's killing me


If I died


Yeah would you come to my funeral would you cry


Would you feel some regret that we didn’t try


Or would you fall apart the same as I


And would it always haunt you baby


That you missed your chance to save me


Cos you know it's not too late

I need you back in my arms


I need love CPR


Cos its getting so cold ooh


I need you back again


Or else Ill never mend


And girl if I go I go I go I go


*I've taken out the chorus bits*

So, if there is an anthem for emotional DV it would be this one.

2 comments:

  1. Guilt is never a good basis for a relationship, but it's frightening how common this is. I would suggest that a fairly high proportion of women have been in this situation at some point, to varying degrees. I had a high school boyfriend like this - luckily I had a supportive family who helped me break away, but not everyone's that fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you did. We should never allow ourselves to put ourselves in this position. So now I'm kinda guilty for liking this song.
    :(

    ReplyDelete